Thursday 27 October 2016

uLearn: Personal Reflection

What?
As you can see below, I have recently attended the uLearn Conference in Rotorua. This was a huge affair, with so much to take in and process. Most of the workshops I chose related to Google Sites because it is a part of G Suite that I have never used much before, meaning that I sometimes have difficulty answering some questions from students when they are working on their ePortfolios. I have always found sites to be extremely clunky, which is what put me off learning more.

So what?
I am now much confident about using Google Sites. I was greatly impressed with the work done by Marc Rowlinson at Northcross Intermediate.  He runs a 1:1 digital class, where his touchpoint is a Google Site. I missed the first 10 mins due to there being no buses to get to the venue, which meant I missed how his website is structured - I'm guessing part private, part public.  The students get assignments/tasks on pages, they then upload their progress/questions /final products to the page and then also give each other high-quality feedback. I would love to know more so that I can adapt this for myself.  I particularly loved it because students were demonstrating high-level thinking and were really engaged and creative. They had a variety of devices and found a variety of apps and websites to do what they wanted to do.

Post on Marc's workshop

I also loved my first breakout, where I started to learn to code a website. I absolutely loved it, and am hoping I'll learn more at my Mindlab course, which begins next week. My main decision is to try and figure out how to use this knowledge in a practical way (ie. a purposeful use for it).

Post on coding your first website

Now what?
I would love to spend some time in Marc's class. If this is not possible, I will endeavour to pester him with emails, asking my multitude of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment