Tuesday 17 November 2015

Google Expediditions

What?


Today, the students at Berkley were extremely fortunate - we had the opportunity to trial Google Expeditions as they introducing their programme to New Zealand.  If you're wondering what this is, here is an explanation:


I was fortunate enough to lead two classes on exhibition.

When Room 10 went on an expedition today, we started off by visiting and following a free climb up El Capitan in Yosemite National Park in the USA.  Following this, we went underwater and learned about a variety of sea creatures. Finally, we took a short tour around the canals of Venice.  In each place, the teacher is able to direct students to points of interest, and share information with them.

I would love to show you photos of Room 10's expedition, but unfortunately, I was so engrossed that taking photos completely slipped my mind.  Here are some photos from another expedition I led for Room 1...


It was interesting that the students chose to sit down when the staff didn't this morning:


There was an article on Stuff about the visit today (although it was the whole school, not just 24 students). Here's the article.

So what?
I enjoyed leading the classes in this, but more importantly, I enjoyed being at the cutting front of technology and introducing students to it.  For the future, this makes it important that I keep on top of new technologies and ideas and introduce them to my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment