Thursday 20 July 2017

Week 32: Reflecting on my Mind Lab Journey



To reflect has two distinct meanings, firstly it means to look back on the past, but it also means to mirror or give back an image.

What?
To look back on and then mirror my learning for others, I first need to remember my initial motivation for beginning my Mind Lab experience. I wanted to learn lots of new ideas and ways to use technology in my classroom. I was also nervous about the academic nature, not having written any form of essay for 20+ years. Despite that worry, knowing how much I love new learning and good old debate, I was very excited as I anticipated the academic side.

So What?
As I look back, has my digital technology usage in class stepped up? No! Ironically, I've been so busy balancing my school paperwork with my assignments, that I haven't made time to add a new digital dimension to my class. The academic side has been great. I've loved working on the assignments and essay writing (video making, not so much). Even the literature review wasn't so bad (said in hindsight, maybe not at the time).  

So, how did my growth stack up in terms of the Practicing Teacher Criteria? I feel that I now have a much stronger understanding of all of the criteria and the types of things that fit into each one. I feel that I have made significant progress in two in particular:


Criteria 4: Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of professional personal practice. 

Doing this course is obviously ongoing professional learning, but I have and will take it further through my newfound confidence in planning and running teacher inquiries into both my students' and my own personal needs (with a greater understanding of the Spiral of Inquiry). I will turn to the literature in the future rather than blindly following the latest ideas/trends. 

Criteria 12: Use critical inquiry and problem-solving effectively in their professional practice.
As I mentioned, I am now more familiar with and confident in my ability to use the Spiral of Inquiry, both to solve any issues I am having with students and with my own practice. I like the model because it not only addresses the data and ensures that I use the data, but also that it ensures that I am researching to see what other people have found out about the topic. It also puts the students at the centre as well as bringing in their families, and my colleagues. The other part I like is that it has a place for my gut feelings - that it is legitimising my professional experience.

Now What? 
Looking forward, I have just been made the leader of second language teaching in my school (every student learns a new language). I'm really excited to be able to put the leadership knowledge we learned into practice. This relates to PTC Criteria 5 on leadership.

Over this break, I have been thinking about each person who is teaching a language to their team, as well as a new staff member who will be teaching a second language for the first time. I have been thinking about which type of leadership styles will suit different members as well as how to introduce new ideas. Into this, I have been thinking about Rogers' Diffusion of Innovation. In my new role, I have a range from early adopters to a laggard.


So to sum it all up, the Mind Lab course has been brilliant for me. I am looking forward to going back through my Digital notes and planning ways to use that knowledge in class. I also want to continue my studies to complete my Masters qualification. Then I will use my knowledge to help others improve their practice. I enjoy public speaking, so I see that as a natural progression for me.

References
Ministry of Education (nd). Practising teacher Criteria and e-learning . Retrieved from http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators. California: Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on July 1, 2017 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files.

Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001).Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.


No comments:

Post a Comment