Sunday 28 May 2017

Week 26: Professional Context

What?

Warner (2015) emphasizes the importances of a school identifying the culture and climate within their school. That a school's 'feel', is noticeable whether you are in a classroom, the playground or the staffroom. She says this climate and culture can impact a school, all the way from staff and students through to the wider community.

Socio-Economic Background
In the latest round of decile reviews, Berkley has been 'downgraded' from a nine to an eight. What this means is that there are some very wealthy people in our community, but as a school, we need to be aware that there are some families who are struggling. These families get lunches delivered every day by St Vincent de Paul.  We cannot use decile ratings to make assumptions about our students.

Scars from the Past
Three years ago, our staff were excited to be getting a new Principal after our leader of 30 years retired. What we got was two terms and two weeks of misery. Our replacement Principal was not a success - His decisive manner left staff emotionally battered, and very distrustful of both the Principal and one another. Over that time, our professionalism, personalities and practice were torn apart.

What now?

New Principal
Our Deputy Principal took over for a year, before our new Principal started. The staff were pleased to start the next phase in our school's journey, excited to see the direction in which he would take our school. He has settled in well, stamping his mark on the school.

The Berkley Family
Our new Principal has worked hard to grow, what has been long known as, the 'Berkley Family', but I am not sure that he fully recognizes that there is still a lot of hurt, stress and mistrust lingering as a result of our traumatic experience with our 'first' new Principal.

'The Berkley Family' is a phrase we hear often, sometimes seeming like it is used when a lot is being demanded of us. This can lead to eye-rolling and mutterings of, 'a dysfunctional family.' However, in this week when I lost my mother, 11 weeks after my father also passed away, I have been so grateful for the presence of my Berkley Family. I have been inundated with phone calls and texts from colleagues, a visit from the Principal and Deputy Principal with cards from my class, and many staff supporting me at her funeral, as they did at Dad's. This has opened my eyes to the strength of the family attitude.

Stoll (1998) defines school culture in terms of three dimensions; the relationship among its members; the organisational structure including the physical environment and management system; and the learning nature. I have talked about the family culture promoted amongst staff. This fits in the dimension of the relationships among its members. In times of need, the family is strong and supportive. However, there are times when the staff feels divided - The senior leaders and team leaders are pedestaled over the Scale A teachers, despite a plethora of strengths and experience within their ranks. This favouritism  contributes to the feeling of 'us and them' that stands in the way of the school moving forward. 

Now What?

Seeing the turmoil that has happened over the last three years has been difficult. It has left me feeling confused - I love the school, and many of my colleagues, but I also feel a distrust and hurt about what has happened in the past. I do not feel that my knowledge and opinions are valued in a way to move the school forward.

However, the area that I can influence is my classroom - the quality of experience I provide for my students. This is my circle of control (Covey, 2014).


An adaptation of Covey's Circles of Influence


References


Covey, S. R. (2014). The 7 habits of highly effective people: Powerful lessons in personal change. New York: Simon & Schuster.


Warner, E.  (2015, April 28). Why is a positive school culture and climate important? [video file]. 


Stoll. (1998). School Culture. School Improvement Network’s Bulletin 9. Institute of Education, University of London. Retrieved 

No comments:

Post a Comment